Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks Giving!



This morning at 5:30 I crawled out of bed, put my hunting gear on and walked downstairs to wake dad up. I carried our rifles up and soon Aaron, [a family friend] drives up. We all pile into our truck and are on the rode. We drive into the Bridger mountains. There were spots at least a foot of snow. Why did we do this, you ask?


Elk Hunting.


So far my first Elk has eluded me, but this time I was ready. After about an hour we stumble on some tracks, some several days old, others fresher. We followed the tracks to an opening where several animals have been living. Suddenly I saw something. I motioned for my dad to look where I saw it. He looked for awhile.


"All I see is that tree stump" He said. I looked again, and true, it is a tree stump.


We didn't end up seeing anything but a couple more tracks.


Well, who knows. Maybe next time I'll get my Elk.


So, it's today we remember the Pilgrims escaping England and persecution, who came here to practice their beliefs; those who had more than half die through the winter, who, with friendly natives like Squanto would have all died.

Who knows where the turkey got its name?
It was named by one of the first Europeans to set foot on American soil, Luis De Torres, who sailed with Columbus in 1492. He wrote, in Hebrew, a letter home describing all the exotic animals, including a 'peacock'. The Hebrew for peacock is Tukki, translated into English Turkey!


Happy Thanks Giving!

1 comment:

  1. Shucks, Andrew, you had me going. I thought for sure you were going to get your Elk, when you fooled me with a tree stump. =) Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete