Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Pheasant hunt

A couple of weeks ago I returned from a five day Pheasant hunting trip in South Dakota with my dad, two of my cousins and my Uncle.

The twelve hour trip there was no fun, I must say, mostly as I couldn't reach my back-pack with my books in it. We finally reached Winner SD at nine and after checking in to a R.V park, set up our pop-up camper. Afterwards me, Dad, Zack and Josh [my cousins] played hearts while eating cookies. After awhile we went to bed, final score Dad:23, Me: 24, Zack:29, Josh 46 [I think I got the scores right].

In the morning after breakfast we drove over to our first hunting spot and waited for 12:00, when the season starts. Finally we set out, me using my dads 12 gauge since I didn't have the right shells with me. Chewy, our 10 year old lab got up 3 birds in the first couple of minutes. They flew away before I could get a shot at any one of them. Then he got one more up and, with my first shot of the hunt, I killed my first pheasant. I was the only one to get a bird that day.

Towards the end of the day we drove over to a spot to ditch hunt [hunt the ditches on either side of the rode]. Dad shot a bird a ways from the truck and Uncle Chal asked Zack to drive it up to let Chewy out to look for the bird. Zack drove the truck, however in to a mud hole where it got stuck. After awhile of trying, me and dad were elected to walk the mile and a half to the nearest house. After half a mile it got dark. Finally we got to a house who could help [or, rather the guy in the house could help.] He offered to drive us into Winner so we could grab our truck, as his was not big enough to do it. We borrowed a chain from the R.V park and drove out there. We finally got the truck out then drove back to the R.V park to drop the chain off and get some desperately needed sleep.








In the morning Dad got eggs and turkey bacon and bread and we had that for breakfast. Than we headed out to hunt. The first spot Chewy got up a bunch of birds [and I missed them] and even Dutch, my non-hunting English Setter, pointed a couple. Uncle Chal Got one. The day went by quickly and ended with only Uncle Chal getting a bird. While me, Zack and Josh played poker, my dad made steak, potatoes and sour-kraut for dinner. [YUM!]





The next day we had eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast. The day went by with several misses, a couple of hits and the birds running off [I kid you not!] and more misses. My dad shot another, but we couldn't find it. It ended up only Uncle Chal got any birds, again. We went back to Winner and had Tacos, Burritos and salad, all home made with home made guacamole. [YUM!]




In the morning after breakfast we unpopped the camper, and said good by as we had to leave that day. After another 12 hour car ride, we got back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment