Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Process of Embalming


For history my sister Molly and I were supposed to show the process of Mummification, or Embalming and post it in our blogs. Now, we don't have everything perfect, we only have two organs and two canopic jars, and the whole process lasted 70 days, not half an hour. So here's my post. Hope you enjoy it!

1. Make a slit in the left side of the deceased













2. Take out the lungs, liver, intestines and stomach and place them into four canopic jars








3. Use a needle and stick it in the nose. Use it to stir the brains into a jelly like substance. tip the body up and let the brain drain out. Then use the needle to scoop the rest of brains from the nose to dispose of










4. Cover the body in salts to dry it out to preserve it












5. Wrap the body in linen strips and place good luck charms on it












6. A priest wearing a jackal mask will place a death mask on the deceased and finish the prayers.












7. The body is now ready to be buried







2 comments:

  1. Andrew,

    How fun and educational. I will try and remember this the next time my children study Ancient Egypt! Keep up the good work!

    Blessings,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are studying ancient Egypt and my kids and I enjoyed reading your post. We thought it was funny! Great job! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete